After Abortion Care
Chances are if you are reading this you may be experiencing a wide variety of emotions because you have experienced an abortion or someone you care about had an abortion. You do no need to tackle this alone. The truth is, abortion brings about complex feelings for just about everyone, including men.
Believe it or not, how you think about this topic may not be consistent with what you choose. So many factors go into the decision. What is consistently true is that it is not an easy decision, the memory of it does not go away quickly and you may be reminded of this decision many times in the future.
Women and men feel a wide variety of emotions and can it impact their response to the feelings. These emotions and behaviors may arise days, months, or even years later and sometimes the feelings can even conflict with each other.
After abortion experiences may include:
- Recurring thoughts about the abortion
- Depression or anxiety
- Anger if you felt someone coerced you into the decision
- Feelings of regret, guilt, loss, anxiety, or shame
- Crying occurrences
- Sadness around the anniversary of the abortion or original due date
- Uncomfortable feelings or uneasiness around babies or children
- Dislike for Mother’s Day or Father’s Day
- Addictive behaviors like substances to numb any of the above feelings
- Medical issues, for women especially if there were complications during the abortion
This is not a complete list of what might come up after an abortion, and not every person who has an abortion will experience them.
Just as each woman and their circumstances are different so are the options available to you if you are looking to begin your healing journey even if you are not sure what you need or what you are looking for. We are here to walk with you in whatever way you need. We offer group and individual support. Your participation in our healing support programs is completely confidential and is often led by those who have had previous abortions, have experienced the need for healing themselves and/or been impacted by an abortion experience.
We listen, we care, and you are never alone.
If you are experiencing suicidal thoughts, please dial 988 or click here.
You are not alone, and help is available for FREE 24/7