All medical procedures come with risk and should come with a proper evaluation. Abortion is no different. Only you can protect your health.
If you are considering having an abortion, there are several steps we recommend for your consideration so you can be fully informed when making your decision.
1. Get Medical Verification of Your Pregnancy
Medical verification of a pregnancy and ensuring it is not ectopic are the first steps in getting the information you need to make an informed decision about your pregnancy and health. A medical verification should be performed by a licensed and trained medical professional to confirm you are pregnant, how far along you are into your pregnancy or if you have an ectopic pregnancy. This is the most important information you need to know in deciding what abortion options are available to you and to safeguard your health.
2. Get Tested for STDs
If you have an STD and don’t know it, then this could cause major complications if not treated before an abortion. Don’t jeopardize your health. Get tested.
3. Learn about Your Abortion Options
There are two types of abortion procedures, chemical (pill) and surgical.
- Chemical abortion – If you are less than 70 days along into your pregnancy, chemical abortion (more commonly known as the abortion pill) is available to you.
- Surgical abortion – Surgical abortion options are available to you throughout your pregnancy and include suction and curettage (S&C) or dilation and evacuation (D&E). In S&C abortions, a suction machine, and a curette (thin, loop-shaped knife) are used to remove the fetus from your uterus. For D&E abortions, the same tools are used in conjunction with forceps, as this procedure is typically only performed on women with advanced pregnancies.
4. Schedule an Abortion Consultation
While there is a lot of abortion information available online, coming in for an abortion consultation ensures you are receiving the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding abortion options. Your consultation should cover procedures available, side effects, potential risks and give you the evidence based medical information you need to make your decision.
How We Can Help
At 1st Steps, you will find a safe environment to share your concerns and talk through the potential risks associated with abortion. We are committed to offering accurate information about abortion procedures and potential risks. Our pre-abortion screening includes medical verification using lab quality urine pregnancy tests and limited OB ultrasound performed by a licensed medical professional. Our ultrasound will provide you with medical information like viability and how far along you are in your pregnancy. Our medical professionals will cover procedures available, side effects, potential risks and give you the evidence based medical information you need to make your decision.
Please note we do not have abortion providers in our network and cannot speak to the level of care you would receive from them. So, we do not refer to abortion providers at any time. Also, you will not be provided with an abortion, abortion pills or emergency conception from us because these services are outside the scope of our care.